If you want to sell your house for the most money, you can’t just leave it up to fate (or your Estate Agent) to make it happen. In today’s market you need to do everything you can to make your house stand out from the crowd and attract the most buyers.
So what can you do to make your home worth more money in the marketplace?
Here are five smart projects you can do right now that will help to bring you more money…
1. Replace worn, damaged, or dated carpet. If they need it and you’re able to replace them, do it. Unless they are after a project buyers are looking for nice houses that don’t require lots of work. The fact is, many buyers can’t see past old, worn carpets and won’t even bother to make an offer on a house that has them. Replacing old carpet will make the house smell new and buyers will love it. Choose a neutral colour such as a light tan or beige.
2. Repaint the inside. There’s nothing like a fresh coat of neutral paint to make a house look brand new again. If you can paint it yourself, it’s a cheap fix that you can’t afford not to do if it needs it. Again, many buyers have a very difficult time seeing past issues like unusual colours or scuffs and crayon marks on the walls. If you have to pay someone to do it, it’s worth paying to have it done – or consider inviting a few friends over for a painting party! You can always do the same for them when it’s their turn to sell.
3. Paint or reface ugly kitchen and bathroom cabinets. The kitchen and bathrooms are two of the most important rooms to buyers and if they look outdated buyers will automatically overestimate the expense to update them. You can make old cabinets look nearly new again by rolling on a coat of neutral, high-quality paint on them. DIY shops sell paints made especially for this purpose and it’s not difficult to do. Alternatively, you may want to paint just the bases of the cabinets and replace the doors for a very reasonable cost.
4. Update old-fashioned lighting. If your home is sporting light fixtures from the 60’s, or if they’re dated, think about replacing them with some inexpensive new lights from your local DIY shop. Attractive light fixtures and ceiling fans with light kits are available for well under £100 and they can quickly take years off your home’s appearance.
5. Pressure wash the outside of your home if you can and add new compost in the flower beds. It’s amazing what a difference this can make to your home’s outside appearance. If you rent a pressure washer and spend a day cleaning your home’s outside walls, gutters, and pathways, you’ll dramatically increase its pavement appeal without spending much money. For a few pounds more, buy a few bags of compost and add it around trees and in flower beds. Buyers have to be attracted to the outside before they’ll bother looking at the inside.
If you’re trying to get the most money possible when you sell your house it’s important to make it look its best, so spending a few pounds and putting in some work now will pay off later!
CONTACT US TO ARRANGE A FREE INITIAL CONSULTATION
To arrange a free initial consultation with Morgans, please contact us on telephone number 01383 620222, or alternatively complete the short form below and a member of our staff will get back to you as quickly as possible…[contact-form-7 404 "Not Found"]